Billy Bloo is Stuck in Goo by Jennifer Hamburg.
I’ll be honest with you here – I wasn’t overly excited when my daughter picked this book up off the library shelf (for no justifiable reason I might add). However, I was pleasantly surprised by this book, a really entertaining read.
I’m not quite sure what it was about the presentation of the book that didn’t appeal to me, but there’s something that doesn’t catch the eye in a way that does the book justice. Like the old saying goes – you can’t judge a book by it’s cover. It obviously appealed to my daughter enough that she picked it out of the crowd of books, but I probably would have skimmed over it if it weren’t for her.
“Billy Bloo is stuck in goo. Who will help him, tell me who? Who’ll unstick him from this goo? Would you? With madcap mania, a troupe of merry volunteers attempt to rescue poor Billy Bloo, only to find themselves stuck in goo too!”
This book is great for both toddlers and pre-school age children.
What I love about this book
What makes this book so appealing is its sense of humour and its rhyme. The rhyme is very natural, making it easy to read in an entertaining manner. The story line is nice and simple. It is an engaging read for a varied age group due to its simplicity, coupled with the rhyming words.
The illustrations are quite cute – they look as though drawn by a child. A host of interesting and silly characters are introduced as Billy Bloo tries to break free from the goo. Hamburg also sprinkles a bit of cheeky humour throughout the illustrations.
This book provided a good chuckle for both child and reader alike.
Storytime Tips and Activities
- Set a nice reading pace and make sure you give the rhyme good flow and intonation.
- Take the time to look into the illustrations and read some of the little jokes out loud. Some further explanation may be required for younger audiences.
- Discuss the individual characters – what makes them unique and how they tried (and failed) to get Billy out.
- Give the characters a bit of personality.
- Have fun and a good chuckle!